Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Crocheting 101, with Shirley Fox

Mandy decided, more or less out of the blue, that she wanted to learn to crochet. I showed her a chain stitch.



She had a scarf half-finished by the time she arrived at Hamilton Valley. Shirley Fox helped her along with advice and encouragement, and she declared the scarf finished. I think "finished" means "I'm tired of this" and I think that point arrived somewhat before the scarf was actually the width that it should be. No matter. She was taught a better stitch and started on a hat.



Shirley's been sending Mandy encouraging emails and links to patterns for spiffy slippers, too. We'll see if we can figure out those patterns on our own. And after that, stay tuned for macrame. Or tatting. Or, hell, auto mechanics, for all I know.

No comments: