Sunday, June 13, 2010

Fencing update



Last winter, I found out that there was a fencing club in Little Rock. I knew Bryan had some equipment, having fenced briefly in college, and I thought he might enjoy getting involved in the sport again. So I pointed him toward the group.

In a happy coincidence, I found out that one of my favorite coworkers teaches the club's beginning classes. Mandy thought it looked interesting too. (Mandy thinks EVERYTHING looks interesting.) The club meets on Thursday nights, and I've been able to work my class schedule around it.

Six months later, all three of us are fully outfitted with beginner-level fencing gear and are nearly done with the beginners classes. We've been able to determine that Bryan has some natural ability. Mandy's gift of intense focus may be an asset in the sport. I have no such advantages, but have always cultivated the skill of enjoying things I'm bad at, so it all works out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The hypo-socks rock! And, might I add, you're a lot better than you think you are!